Monday, March 22, 2010

From shabby to Fab!

The day we bought the stroller- it never stood a chance....
Isn't the Internet a wondrous place? Lil A has a doll stroller we bought at a yard sale for a buck- best dollar I've even spent- and I've spend a lot throughout my life... Anyways, the seat was ripped when we bought it so I tried to stitch it back together and that worked for a while but that only lasted for so long. I've been thinking about recovering it for a while ... when I found this at Sew Dang Cute!
I don't know if all doll strollers have the same measurements or not- the tag on ours says Toys 'R' Us if that helps.


Materials:
3/4 yd. fabric
1 pack wide bias tape
Thread


Total Cost: $3.75 plus tax


Plus I have enough leftover fabric for two other projects, a luggage tag for someone who knows maybe me and a skirt for lil A.

Old cover, totally destroyed BEFORE I picked it apart.


Lay old cover onto new fabric (all I can say is thank heaven she liked this more than the DORA and Princess fabric). My old cover was one layer of fabric- do these toy makers have kids?! I doubled my fabric so my new cover would be two layers- which should last about three months....





Here are some measurements in case you don't want to pick yours apart.


Middle of the cover.



Top.


Bottom piece- most destroyed piece.

Bottom width.

Cut our new pieces, I just cut around the old pieces- I'm not a perfectionist.

Stitch layers together.

Pin on wide bias tape. I had never used bias tape before- LOVED every minute of that! It's so easy.


Stitch bias tape. To do the corners, I just folded under and kept going, the less seams the better- right?


Measure new loops to hold the seat up. I just kept using my bias tape to keep the project as cheap as possible.


*Tip* I am a novice sewer and I novice before sewing thinker- it would be best to pin these under the bias tape and just stitch them on when you stitch that.* Pin straps on and stitch.


I tried to reinforce it as much as possible without making it look too messy.


Now take the bottom piece that you have already stitched around and pin it to the top piece and stitch.

Then add bias tape to all exposed edges and you guessed it... stitch.


Wahoo. Sigh of relief.


Measure out more bias tape for new buckle straps. *Tip* these can also be sewn on when you do the bias tape on the top section- didn't think that far in advance.*
Feed ends through buckles and stitch then stitch to sides.




Forgot to photo journal this last part. Fold the edge of the bottom over and stitch both sides- my fold was about two inches. Really reinforce this seam- this is where they tend to break.


One happy Baby! and one happy Lil A. She sat right by my side the entire project asking me when it would be done and relaying all progress to "baby".



I'm Linking to:

10 comments:

Joyelle said...

how atinkin cute can YOU be!!!??!?! LOVIN THIS!!! now i cant wait til K breaks hers lolol ;) thanks girl. I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!

Mariska said...

That is such a great idea! My girls love sitting in their doll strollers, so some day I know it will come apart :)

Love the owl fabric, do you know what brand it is?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute! Very creative! The owl fabric definitely improves it. :)

Kaysi said...

That is so cute! It looks so much better now!

LuckyStarErin said...

I love the owl fabric! That's a great idea. Love iT!

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

This is such a great idea! And much cuter than the ones at the stores.I've got a MckLinky party called Tot Tuesdays. I hope you'll stop by & share:

http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/2010/03/tot-tuesdays-2.html

Andrea said...

That's awesome!

The Daun Family said...

You are amazing! This so cute!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Super cute. One of our stroller's fabric ripped, now I know how to replace it!!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

What a GREAT TUTORIAL. It is so cute too. I love that she was giving her baby updates.

PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE-if you haven't RE-SIGNED up to follow me at the new site PLEASE DO SO. Google doesn't let you take your followers with you so you ARE NOT getting my updates and won't until you sign up again.

Thanks for posting to the party
Cheri

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails